Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tomatosaurus Meets Disco Pants and Haircuts

It's a lame headline, but it beat out 'Here Comes the Sun,' which is a Beatles song and I'm not that into the Beatles.

I feared, based on the weather since putting my garden in on Sunday, that I'm a real live bonafide rainmaker who needs to quit this gardening thing. Last time I did it on a large scale, there was a 500 year flood, and the forecast made me thing of 1993 by Monday morning.

But this evening, while I'm still so sore I can hardly walk, I managed to mow my lawn and check out my new garden in sunlight. Gawd but the silver reflective mulch material Worley sold me is outrageous.



When I got home I went to change into the shoes I mow/garden in and was momentarily blinded by a flash of light through the bedroom window. I wondered briefly if this was going to turn me into a temporary genius with Kira Sedgewick moving in, but, alas it was only my garden reflecting the setting sun.

Life is dull but as far as I know I'm cancer free. And I don't have to be a Scientologist.

Anyway, bad Phenomenon references aside, my yard needed serious attention. Who am I kidding, it still needs serious attention, but most of the grass that was tall enough to go to seed is knocked down and I managed to get the last of my Round Up on some of the taller noxious weeds that still have enough felled timber in them to prevent mowing.



I know, it's a bit of an inconsistency, the guy almost hospitalizes himself putting in a vegetable garden but can't be bothered to mow the lawn or pick up all those sticks that rattle around in the mower when he finally does mow.

I'm working on it, dude. But anyway a vegetable garden is different from a lawn. A lawn is a high maintenance girlfriend that won't put out even on Valentine's Day, even if you bought flowers. A lawn is so useless it's really a secret transvestite girlfriend just waiting to teach you a thing or two about the crying game.

For years, I've wanted to simply pave or gravel my yard to be done with the hassle. Now I'm thinking maybe the key is raised bed vegetable gardening from fence to fence with gravel or paved footpaths between the beds...

I noticed my neighbor's lawnmower, which had been left out on a lawn that's actually 100% grass was a 'Weed Eater' model. And I thought I should trade my Crafstman/Briggs & Stratten with them because what could be more apt for my lawn than a mower branded to eat weeds? I'm pretty sure desirable grass species make up, at most, 30% of my lawn.

The rest is grape hyacinths, milkweed, dandelions and volunteer maples trees. None of which are any more edible than grass. The Tomatosaurus Rex, however, promises to potentially feed me some tomatoes and peppers, maybe some basil to go with it.



Well, if whatever is eating the leaves of my California Wonder and Lilac peppers lays off. Then I got to thinking, maybe 25 plants with only one duplicate (the Micro Tom) was a mistake. Maybe I should have planted a multiples of everything in case of pests or other mishaps...

No comments: