Search Lobsterland

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Tempeh in Green Curry



Bland is not a word to describe this dish. Probably not even if you cut the curry paste in half, which I'd recommend if you're not a Thai national or a total freaking masochist like me.





For serious, one bite was enough to raise sweat on my scalp. But in a good way, with lots of savory and sweet flavors to support it.



Hard to believe that until the 17th Century, when the Portuguese got at Siam, the Thais never heard of chili. Go figure. To me, Thai food without heat is like Paris Hilton without stupid, it's just impossible.





To start off, I diced a whole onion and started it sautéing in olive oil.

Then I sliced the tempeh and added it. I also had a large batch of purple sticky rice risotto (I cooked 3 cups of rice in 7-1/2 cups of chicken broth with a tablespoon of minced garlic).





I started 1/2 cup of flax seeds and 1 cup of pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds) to toast in a skillet on medium heat. When the first flax seed popped, I transferred the seeds to the tempeh.





Then I added a six ounce can of straw mushrooms in brine. Including the juice, because the mix was so dry, I just let the brine reduce. Same thing for the bamboo shoots, an 8 ounce can juice and all.



Another couple tablespoons of garlic, a teaspon of sesame oil and a teaspoon of hot chili sesame oil.

One 13.5 ounce can of coconut milk, and a whole jar of green curry paste (remember, I said it was intense. They recommend 1-2 tablespoons of the stuff, and while this was a double batch, the whole jar is 8 tablespoons. That means we're talking double the paste).

Oh, and a half a pound of broccoli. Keep it moving, stir, then serve with the rice.

No comments: