Search Lobsterland

Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Ex Camera

My Canon PowerShot seems to have bitten it.



It's not pinin,' it's passed on! This camera is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! This is a late camera! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace!

In fairness, I've carried this thing in unlikely tight pockets and whatnot for a year and a half or so. I've taken thousands of pictures with it and I seldom go anywhere without it.

Still, maybe I'm old fashioned, but a camera should last longer. The thing is, I know Mo broke it. I watched it happen. Her mother has been letting her take pictures, and she's very gentle and careful with the camera. She's started wanting to use my camera as well, and I've been letting her.

It's not like some things, like cell phones, that she's just as likely to put in a pitcher of orange juice.

She was taking a picture from the edge of her bed, and she dropped the camera. We're talking maybe an 18 inch fall, possibly two feet. The camera was on, though, and it landed on its lens, apparently jacking up a gear. Now it doesn't open properly, it doesn't close properly, and it's shed some sort of gasket in the process of trying to do these things.

It doesn't focus right anymore.

So I can't afford a new camera, really, but I can't seem to breath without one. I'm sure I'll find a bargain, but I'm not so sure I'll let Mo pilot the thing right away...

No comments: