Search Lobsterland

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Closing the Pool



Okay, a couple of the first trips of the year to the pool didn't go so well. Mo bolted on me, ran despite the rules and my hollering, jumped in the lazy river without a tube, and so on.



The ex and I both drilled her on making good choices if she wants to even go to the pool this summer. And the reinforcement has been some curtailed trips, where we left much earlier than we would have if she hadn't pulled a stunt.



Yesterday, we did two hours, no problems, stayed from 6:00 until it closed at 8:00. Today, we got there at 5:00 and still stayed to close.

She followed instructions, stayed with me, it was amazing.

And I'm so freaking tired. I did a loose mental count of the trips down the waterslide. Because if Mo goes, Daddy goes, she won't get out of the spillway at the bottom on her own, and I can't really trust her to go up the stairs and wait in line appropriately. This is three flights of stairs. Seventeen times this evening.

I don't know what I do wrong on the blue side, but the last change of direction, a couple of times, I get to rotating as I come out, become airborne briefly, and land hard on my elbow before slipping into the water on my side or stomach in mid spin. It's not cute, my right elbow feels like I've been using it to stop cars.



The white slide is the fastest, and it's fully enclosed, meaning I can't sit up (the one thing that will slow your descent). It's scary fast, and I scrape my back on the bottom of the pool when I come out half the time. I wondered why they didn't make the water deeper at the slide exit, but they already have this 48 inch height rule, and they'd just have to be tougher that way if it was deeper.

I'm told that some of the slide rules actually developed from guards injuring themselves back when they were getting ready to open the park. The 'no going down the white tube on your belly' rule, which Mo is still learning to comply with (I hope), for instance, was developed by 'a big gash in his hip.'

And I don't know how many trips around the lazy river. I'm guessing we did the equivalent of a two mile float trip.



Plus the diving board. The old, boring, regular pool.

Plus the big water playground.

No comments: