Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Doh! A Deer, A Female Deer...

Actually, it could have been a buck for all I know. I don't hunt (the past eleven deer seasons, I worked mandatory overtime before my job got sent to India). I would hunt, at least if by 'hunt' you mean walking around in the mountains, trying to find trails and stalk the animals. Sitting in a blind, freezing your nuts off hoping the game will walk in front of you? That's not hunting, that's ice fishing with no water.

Anyway, this deer was strolling through our parking lot, then zipping across Wornall.



Hung out at the far side of the thrift store parking lot between a couple of cargo containers before leaping a fence. Kind of a Life of Pi moment.

Thing is, my first instinct when I saw the deer was to grab my camera. I always have my camera with me. Always.

But by the time I got it out, the deer had gotten too far for my PowerShot A520 to do much good. Maybe if I had a newer PowerShot, the seven megapixel one instead of the four, but I doubt it. The problem is a 4x optical zoom is just not enough. And a maximum light sensitivity of ISO 400 (and a noisy 400 at that).



But if I had my dream camera, the dSLR I was close to caving on right before TradeNet decided it no longer wanted to be a great place to work (the sign is still up, but I have it on good authority, by multiple sources, that it could not be so defined anymore).



But would I have had the camera with me if the camera was a two pound monster with a big, expensive zoom lens on it? My PowerShot fits in my pocket, and I don't see myself ever wearing pants so baggy I could do that with a Pentax K10D.

No comments: