Search Lobsterland

Monday, May 21, 2007

Weekend Launches



The fleet sustained heavy losses this weekend. I'm down to one launchable rocket.



We launched three times this weekend, actually. Friday night was pretty smooth sailing.



Saturday there was more wind. We lost Ribbon in a tree, and that was a trick. Veteran's Park is the tree-less-est park in the area, and yet Ribbon found a tree like it had a homing device in it.



And Marty Graw, he got caught in power lines, in plain sight but untouchable.



Sunflower, abbreviated by a saw-off, flew perfectly until her nose cone separated. The nose cone and parachute landed, I think, somewhere on Hickory street. The body and tail fins landed nose down hard.



Now I have to figured out how to build the fleet back.



Which reminds me: Saturday, we're going through Shawnee Mission Park. I stopped at the Marina to see what boat rentals cost. I wasn't planning on doing it that day, just wanted to know what all was involved.



I told Mo, 'Not today, but would you like to come take a boat ride sometime?' 'No!' she said. Okay, I'm not believing it, but a john boat with an electric outboard is $13/hr cash only. I wasn't carrying cash, so it didn't matter that this is extremely reasonable.





So Mo melted down. We were halfway back to the car when she said, 'YES!' Like her answer had been why we weren't heading out to sea.



Leaving the park, I spot the Rocket Guys.



When we got up to them, one came and asked me, 'Where's your rocket?'





Smart-ass response ready-made: Got four in the trunk of my car.

Then I asked, 'Are you the guys with the incredibly out of date website?'



I've emailed this club using the contact at their website, and I get a guy in Oklahoma. He used to be here, used to be involved, but that was three years ago.


I didn't get a launch of my own going at this point, Mo was still way too out of sorts over the boat thing. But I did get some good info.

No comments: