Search Lobsterland

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Last Shoulder Ride?

Okay, ever since I started shaving my head again, my scalp is one of Mo's favorite sensory stations. Sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's rough, but it's always something she wants to run her hands over, or smack lightly, or drag her lips and cheeks across.

No problem, except the occasional times she's inspired to dig in her fingernails and scrape or take the dog brush's metal tines and see how loud Daddy can yell.



But she's feeling my scalp this afternoon and all of a sudden stands up on the couch and swings a leg over my shoulder. Before I can say, 'No, you're too heavy!' she's on my shoulders like old times.

Old times whens he weighed a mere 70 lbs. When putting her on my shoulders was often the easiest way to make sure I knew where she was and what she was grabbing when we were out in public.




But now, at a hundred-something (in the one-teens now, if I recall, or maybe she's just a really heavy 109 lbs) I can almost feel discs bulging when she's sitting on my shoulders. I didn't know if I could actually stand up with her up there, but she wasn't showing any signs of believing me when I said I couldn't, so I did.

These may be the shots of the last shoulder ride I give her. I asked her if she could dangle and sit back up. She didn't try, but that's been awhile. When she was three or four, she'd dangle down, let her head hit my butt, then sit back up like it was nothing. Abs of steel? More like Abs of titanium on steroids and amphetamines. She'd do reps that way, just out of boredom.

She's still ridiculously strong, but I'm not sure that would be quite the effortless move today. And she was too afraid to dangle.

1 comment:

kimmyk said...

That is hilarious!

Maybe she doesn't realize how big she's grown???

I nearly spit on the bulging disc comment. Ahhh you're such a good dad!