Search Lobsterland

Monday, May 21, 2007

Alma Mater



Drove my my grade school, and it looks like they're finally shutting it down.

This is something they've wanted to do since I was going there thirty years ago. Not because of Cartman's antics, because nobody knew that Cartman would eventually be based on Frank Blanc, just as nobody knew that Jimmy Christmas would go on to be the basis for Kenny. No, they wanted to shut down South Park because they had to draw kids from the North Pole to get the student body up to 250 K-6. As Gardner will be in twenty years, it was a neighborhood of empty nesters. But the school was involved in a landmark desegregation lawsuit (Brown versus Board), and people were squeamish about saying there was no reason to keep it open.

And for what deseg it was worth: when I went through South Park, there were all of four or five black kids in that 250.

But I guess someone figured sixty years was enough. That, and you just can't make fifty-somethings breed.

1 comment:

Justine said...

my primary (that's Australian for grade/elementary) school had about 150 students when I was there. It might be up to about 200 now. No way they'd shut it down... although the government's always doing its best to make cutbacks.