Search Lobsterland

Monday, May 21, 2007

Festival of Festivals



Kansas City is festival crazy. Proof: we tried to go to the Turkey Creek Festival, and when the parking for that was too hairy, we headed for the Plaza. And ran smack into the Literary Festival.



On the way back, we passed the Fiber Festival. No kidding, including a sign that read, 'Sheep Shearing Today.'



We didn't shear sheep, but we did eat McDonalds, which to my kids is sorta festive. They celebrate it even if I don't.



I had a supposedly big and tasty sandwich. I'm not sure if it was big, it wasn't tasty. But the honyocks got cool Shrek the Third toys to fight over later.



One of the poets reading was doing his anti-war thing, talking about how he just knew back when we rolled on Iraq. In fairness, I was gung-ho because I believed Colin Powell was too much a military man to say Saddam had nukes when Saddam had a pair of threes. But a poet who will challenge me by making the case for war, that would be fresh. Pacifist poets are passé.



Of course, if anyone cared what poets had to say, maybe the parking would have been crazy at the literary festival. I guess society is more amped about turkeys and creeks than books.

No comments: