Search Lobsterland

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sweating It Out



I've been fighting a bit of head & chest crud the past couple of days. Gobbling guifasen and pseudo-ephedrine and whatnot.

But I noticed with all the walking I did yesterday, I felt a lot better while I was on the move. And I remembered back when I hit the Y hard every night, I had a cold one time that I swear I managed to sweat out of myself with an hour on the elliptical. The nasal congestion went away while I was working out and it just didn't come back.



I know, I was probably about to get well and that was just coincidence.

So anyway, it was such a nice day out, I decided to give this cure a try. I wasn't too sore despite all the walking I did yesterday, and I was curious about finishing the double loop we tried last weekend at Shawnee Mission Park.



Well, while I was hiking, my nose did dry up nicely. But the increased breathing resulted in a lot of unproductive, painful, papery coughing. I sweated, but I didn't sweat the cold out.



4.5 miles of fairly rugged trails, that would do me in when I'm well. I also realized about three miles into it that I could have gotten exercise and done something that needed doing if I'd mowed my overgrown lawn instead. Needless to say I didn't get home with enough steam for that to happen.

And realistically, there is no way me and the girls would have completed that circuit. One trail or the other would be doable, and in fact we did about 90% of the orange trail before we exited the woods last week, I find out. But not both.



I am intrigued by this paved trail that intersects the park. According to the map it goes from 119th or so all the way to Wyandotte County, some 14.5 miles each way. It seems impossible that such a long and continuous trail could be there and I never noticed it. Maybe if I get a bike sometime, I can try riding the length of it.

No comments: