Search Lobsterland

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Daddy Date

Em has been on me to see Sweeney Todd since we watched Jersey Girl a couple years ago.

The Tim Burton film is great, but the death in it is a tad too realistic. It was jarring for me, and Em's a sensitive kid.

But the bloodless deaths of the production Shawnee Mission North is putting on, perfecto.



Except it's sold out, of course. We got there early and were the first on the standby. First act we sat in separate sections because the standby seats were apart, though the seat next to Em was empty. The thing had started by the time I realized, but for act two we got to sit together.

And she's enthralled with it.

At intermission, we hit the concession stand and I got to try a bit of Priest. I wouldn't have eaten anything, but that was too clever to resist.



These kids do a great job of it. Of course, getting to do material this cool, that's guaranteed to get high schoolers to work harder. I lucked into a good villain role as Owen Musser in The Foreigner, but I'd have cut off a testicle to get to be Sweeney. That's as cool as roles get.

And I wonder, how come so many schools seem to rotate Oklahoma, The Music Man, and The Sound of Music in a three year cycle?

No comments: