Search Lobsterland

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Roids

I always wanted to try steroids. Why'd I have to go deaf first?

Okay, full disclosure. The cold I tried to walk off on the trails went from some annoying virus to some sort of secondary bacterial infection, I think. The latter turned out to be more ferocious.

So I went to my doctor. A couple years ago, I wouldn't have because I was assigned to a clown by an HMO. A clown so incompetent I had to seriously question whether a possible cancer was more dangerous than my primary care physician.



These days, on a PPO, I can see a guy who graduated a medical school in America. And who, as far as I can tell, is not also a patient of my psychiatrist.

So I described my symptoms, starting with the usual cough and runny hose and ended with partial deafness as my ears turned into swimmer's ears but worse.

So the good doctor looked in my left ear and exclaimed, 'My, we are infected!'

He wrote a couple of scripts and assured me they were on the $4 list and off I went.



One was for an antibiotic, about what I would have expected. The other, a mild steroid.

You start with seven and work your way down to one. So far, no roid rage or any other side-effects, damnit. What do I have to do to get the good stuff? The Mark McGuire meds.

No comments: