Search Lobsterland

Friday, October 17, 2008

Improvised Faux Butterklosse Dumplings & Parent-Teacher Conferences



Parent-teacher conferences for two kids at two different schools. Well, they normally schedule these things so that it's not that hard, but we have a honyock at each of two middle schools, and the district assumes that never happens. But Mo's Communications Room is only available at the one, and the artist formerly known as Frau Lobster lives in the boundary line for the other, so there you go.



Em's in the 7th grade, so they don't set times, they just make the teachers take stations in the gym and you go teacher to teacher, first-come, and she has five of them. A couple we weren't worried about, but both the artist formerly known and I have had to ride her some about math, science, etc.



We got to two teachers before I had to bail to take the girls home and heat up stew. Because Mo's conference was set at a fixed time. Her Mom was at an IEP just a few weeks back, so she looked at it as fairly optional, but since I'd missed that, I really wanted to go. The plan was Mo would hang out with her mother while I went in to the conference. But we ended up just all having it in the same room.



Which meant we got to see Mo introduced to the Mimio. This is a new teaching tool they have, which projects the computer screen onto the chalk board and uses a pointer the Mimio can see, so the whiteboard essentially becomes a touch screen.


Mimio on Vimeo...That rhymes! from Chixulub on Vimeo.

Mo loved it. Especially when she got turned onto the draw program. I think this is going to be big for her. She adores the computer as it is, and I could just about hear the gears turning in her head as she worked with it on the whiteboard.



Between the conferences, I hurried to heat the stew and make dumplings. I turned out not to have any regular milk, and being dubious of vanilla soy milk dumplings, I decided to try a sort of butterklosse thing. I beat three eggs with some Smart Balance, then added about a cup of flour, a half tablespoon baking soda and a tablespoon of baking powder. Or was it the other way around? I leavened it, anyway.



I steamed this on top of the stew for about twelve minutes after it started to bubble. Turned out very well, actually. So well Em had seconds, in fact.





Just when it finally got cold enough for comfort food, too.

No comments: