Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Micro Maxx



So last year I tried to build the smallest rocket possible. This was to fly on Estes mini-A motors. The rocket didn't fly well, one of the fins didn't get on straight. But the biggest disappointment was learning that there were much smaller rockets out there.



Quest used to make a motor called the Micro Maxx, which is about the diameter of a #2 pencil. While they've been out of production for some time, there's inventory on hand at a few online retailers, and what's more, it's not expensive.



I ordered this set from Discount Rocketry. $20 all in, launcher, controller, two rockets, several motors. The rockets are ready to fly and are also nice enough to be tempting for display on your desk at work. To that end, they even come with a couple of stands for displaying them.

That's if you don't lose them in a field somewhere. Tiny rockets are so easy to lose. Lose visual contact and it can be like trying to find Jimmy Hoffa or Dick Cheney's good qualities.



Still, I can't not fly these. It's a scale Saturn V and a scale Shuttle orbiter. And the Saturn V is about as long as the distance between the tips of Dr. Tommy's fins. I could put this rocket, the entire rocket, in the motor mount for some of my rockets.

These aren't really smaller than the Jolly Green Giant I built last year, but a minimum diameter Micro Maxx rocket would be. I'll have to work on hat. I think I have a launch lug around here that might work for a body tube...

No comments: