Search Lobsterland

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cinders—It's What's For Dinner

So Mo decided to cook chicken nuggets while I was indisposed.

I could have interrupted my little reading session, I suppose, except by the time I smelled smoke it was probably too late. This has happened before. Three french fries that struck her fancy for a midnight snack one time and I woke to the smell of them blackening because she'd punched in enough time for a baked potato.



I think, in fact, that she may have reasoned that potatoes were what french fries were made of, so four minutes...

Basically she seems to find holes in my direct, in-the-room-with-her supervision and the microwave has taken quite a beating for it. Repeated cleanings with lemon juice and vinegar have failed to entirely eradicate that burned smell from the french fry debacle.

I think the problem in this instance was that she aimed to cook the nuggets for three minutes, that's a max we've been over a few million times. Three minutes will do a whole plate, and if she only puts for or five in, they're overcooked but not blackened.



But if you hit the '3' twice, and maybe don't want to take the time to figure out how to undo that, and if you figure nothing about an extra three negates the requirement of two zeroes, well, you end up with 33:00 and it turns out the plate actually shattered before all that time was up. I emerged from the bathroom to so much smoke I feared the house itself was on fire.

And there was no cleaning this up.

I could have gotten a $42 microwave at Wal-Mart, but for $74 I found one with a child lock. Granted, it's a lock I think Mo will crack sooner than I'd like, but it means for at least a little while she'll require my presence in the room when she's setting up to commit culinary mayhem. Then, too, I find it's one that when you just hit '3,' it goes for three minutes. You have to hit 'time cook' first if you want to key it in the way our ex-microwave did.

1 comment:

kimmyk said...

dang.
ketchup can't even cover those messed up fries. 33 minutes.

shewwie.