Search Lobsterland

Monday, July 07, 2008

Elizabethan Noir: Free Will '08

I went to Othello tonight. I'd pushed my luck to the limit, this was closing night for the Heart of America Shakespeare Festival.




I hadn't read Othello, only vaguely knew the story. I think I enjoyed the show the more for not having the spoiler factor of having read the thing in high school.



For the uninitiated: it is roughly based on the relationship between Colin Powell (Othello) and Karl Rove (Iago). I say roughly because the analogy breaks down when you start featuring Colin Powell marrying Chelsea Clinton (daughter of a Senator, after all), only to murder her out of suspicion she'd fooled around with Condolezza Rice. But aside from that it's pretty much non-fiction.





Maybe it's the newness of the play to me, but I think this may be my favorite Shakespeare play. There are others I'm unfamiliar with, but this beats Romeo & Juliet, MacBeth, maybe even Hamlet.

No comments: