Search Lobsterland

Friday, December 15, 2006

Might Have Been Good...

There' a bake sale tomorrow to raise money for Special Olympics, and I was going to whip up some Oreo Truffles to contribute.

A couple of people at work bring these in from time to time, and they are one of those things that's so good it hurts. Plus, they're simple.

One bag of Oreos
8oz Cream Cheese

Mash into a paste, roll into balls, cover the balls with melted chocolate.



Thing is, it really is trufflish.

First problem, I don't own a food processor, so actually pulverising and mixing the filling was a lot of work. A really lot.

Then I couldn't get the chocolate chips to melt. I was trying to do it on the stove, because I could stir as they heated up. I thought it would be a thing where I'd have to be careful not to get the chocolate too runny.



After a while, they had melted, but it wasn't runny enough to pour. I trid rolling a couple of balls through it and they came out lumpy. I called my Mom to ask if you had to add milk or something, and she sad she melts chocolate chips and almond bark all the time in the microwave.



So I transfered the hot chocolate paste into a Pyrex and nuked it. I was worried that it would splatter, so I put a plastic bag over the mouth of the cup. After about a minute I started to smell this nasty burnt-plastic smell, and I opened up the microwave and there were holes in the bag, from which steam or smoke was rising.



I peeled the bag off, but the chocolate mass continued to smoke or steam. I tried to stir it, and it was even stiffer than before. Plus, this super-dark stuff, what is that, part of the truffle filing that came off one of the balls I rolled through it?

Nope, it was the chocolate chips themselves: they had turned into a blackened mass with a texture like pumice stone.

The reek is roughly like a marshmallow burnt on a stick when you're camping. Except instead of being a mild and faintly pleasant smell amidst others, it's one, overwhelmingly nasty stench.



My whole house smells like a fire in a Hershey factory.



Was it the cheapie chips? I used Sam's Choice, and the ingredient list looks like the ingredients list on Nestle chips. Should I have added milk or somthing?

I put the balled up filling in a baggie and stuck it in the fridge. When I figure out what went wrong, I'll melt some chocolate and cover them with it.

2 comments:

kimmyk said...

Y'know I don't think you can mess up if you cover it in chocolate.

The whole idea sounds interesting though. I'd love the 'recipe'.

Y'know the one where it has specific instructions.

Chixulub said...

Well, that is the recipe, basically. A food processor is highly, highly recommended for mashing up the filling. I used a rolling pin and pressed the stuff between sheets of wax paper in addition to the work with spatula and spoon in the mixing bowl, and I have some pretty sore muscles in my right forearm.

Once you get it smooth and well mixed, you just ball it up and cover it with chocolate. I understand I would have had better luck dipping the balls with toothpicks, that I shouldn't have expected the chocolate to run freely enough to pour.