Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Hair

[Pardon my blatant rip-off of Hair lyrics]

She asks me why, why I'm just a hairy guy.
I'm hairy noon and nighty night night, my hair is a fright.
I'm hairy high and low, but don't ask me why, cause he don't know.
It's not for lack of bread, like the Grateful Death.
Darlin'



Give me a head with hair, long beautiful hair.
Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen.
Give me down to there hair, shoulder length or longer hair
Here baby, there, momma, ev'rywhere, daddy, daddy.

hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Hair, hair, hair. Flow it, show it, long as I can grow it, my hair.



I'd let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees, give a home to the fleas in my hair.
A home for the fleas, a hive for the buzzin' bees,
a nest for birds, there ain't no words for the beauty, the splendor, the wonder of my:




Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it, long as I can grow it, my hair

I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy, snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty,
oily, greasy, fleecy, shining, streaming, gleaming, flaxen, waxen,
knotted, polka dotted, twisted, beaded, braided,
powdered, flowered and confettied, bangled, tangled, spangled and spahettied.



Oh say can you see, rise if you can,
and my hair's too short

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Hair, hair, hair.Flow it, show it,
long as God can grow it, my hair



They'll be ga-ga at the go-go when they see me in my toga,
my toga meade of blond, brilliantined, biblical hair.
My hair like Jesus wore it, Halleluja I adore it, Halleluja Mary loved her son,why don't my mother love me?

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
long as God can grow it, my hair




For those of you who haven't heard it from the Lobster's mouth, I got fired five days before Christmas. I don't think I got a fair hearing, but show me the fired guy who says he got a square deal.

And no, I'm not going into details. For the same reason I'm not contacting various government agencies and legal foundations, there's no percentage in fighting some things, even when they are seriously screwed up.



When the artist formerly known as Frau Lobster woke me up a year ago today to tell me she had to have a divorce, I did not see that my life today would be better than it was then. Not to give the impression that divorce is a good thing, I wouldn't wish it on the asshead who decided to fire me, but life is better a year later. My task now is to find a new job and be able to look back on this a year later and say as hard as it is to sleep on Christmas Eve without a paycheck, I'm better off.

As far as what I do for a living: there is zero reason why long hair should keep me from getting another position, but there was also no reason it should have contributed to my exile. Yet I believe it did. And I can't afford to walk into an interview and turn an opportunity into a closed door because someone thinks my hair means things it doesn't.

When I was in high school, the shaved head (which I've also done, many times) was a cry for help, the sign of a suicidal kid. Extreme even for punks. Yet today it is Sesame Street normal. Long hair, a look that goes back much further, is still apparently the domain of people who prefer pot to booze, following the Dead to following a career, etc. In other words, people who might have much more sense than me, but who are definitely not me.

Plus, I was able to donate to Locks of Love, which was a goal when I decided to grow my hair out one more time while I had an (I thought) stable job situation and hadn't started to go bald naturally. Whatever kid gets my hair, hope it makes things better. I enjoyed it, and if you needed it, you have bigger problems than I do, even now.

6 comments:

Jane said...

Getting fired just before Christmas! that stinks talk about bad timing really crap. Got my fingers crossed for you that you get a new and better job soon.

The hair cut really suits you, makes you look ten years younger. What do Em and Mo think?

Chixulub said...

Well, the girls haven't seen it yet. They probably won't recognize me.

Anonymous said...

Cute :) Way to have a positive attitude and I love and remember every word to that Hair song. Does that date me at all or just make me a flaming hippie.

Anonymous said...

Thats a great gesture donating your hair to a sick kid right on man. That sucks to be fired after the divorce thing last year but your still smiling and apparently without pot double right on and cheers from bakersfield.

kimmyk said...

WOW, sorry to hear that you got fired from your job. Hopefully you can collect unemployment for a while til you find another job.

I love the new look. You do look younger. Way to start off the new year....

I'll be sending good vibes your way....Keep your chin up.

I'm excited in hearing what the girls thought.

Kenn Minter said...

Man, getting fired sucks... it's a big fear of mine. I like my house... and probably couldn['t afford it on unemployment.

Here's hoping that 2007 holds great things for you... I'm sure it will!

Happy New Year!

-Percy