Search Lobsterland

Friday, October 09, 2009

Chipotle Black Bean Chili

Must be getting cooler out because I just had to make the house reek of cumin and garlic, sautéed onions, etc.



Cutting the shuck & jive and getting down to the recipe:

2 lbs dried black beans*
About 3 lbs hamburger (whatever I had left frozen from a family pack)
1 large red onion (if I'd had two I would have used more)
1 bulb garlic, the whole thing peeled and minced, about 15 large cloves
1 10 oz. can tomato paste
1 5 oz. can diced fire roasted, peeled & diced green chilies
1 gallon free range chicken broth
2 tsp. chili chipotle
1 6-Guns Chili Fixins (everything in)



Wash the beans, bring to a boil, turn off heat and let soak an hour, drain and rinse. Meanwhile brown the beef and drain the fat. Then sauté the onion until translucent in a tablespoon or so of olive oil, then add the garlic, cook a minute longer. Then add everything to the bean pot, spices, canned stuff, everything. Bring to a boil, uncover and simmer until it's thick and satisfying, at least an hour, probably two or three...






I toyed with the idea of adding some coriander, tumeric, ginger and cloves. I've seen recipes that call for these things, but I feared it would turn into more of a curry than a chili, and I was in the mood for chili.

Plus, if I was going down the curry road, I'd have to see my dealer for some herb.

Now I've psyched myself up to where I'll have to do another of my semi-famous Goan curries.



And maybe I'll experiment with some sub-batches from this enormous batch of chili. Try spicing up a quart or so with some Coriander and Fenugreek...

The chili turned out well, by the way. It was ready in time for me and Em to have some as we finally finished Silence of the Lambs. Well, she finished it. I ate my chili and fell asleep on the couch around the time Hannibal's bloody lamb chops were being delivered to the gymnasium.

No comments: