Search Lobsterland

Saturday, October 03, 2009

Hayride



The mover & shaker who's been mainly responsible for organizing a special needs ministry at church had a bunch of us out for a hayride this afternoon. And pumpkin painting, and a moon walk.





I'd told Mo we were going on a hayride, but I don't think I did a very good job of explaining the situation. We come around the back side of our host's house and there's twenty people. Mo kind of shut down, I think in hindsight she felt blindsided. I told her there was a hayride, I didn't tell her there'd be a sudden social interaction with a large group that included some strangers who all wanted to ask her how she was doing.






She eventually warmed up to some junk food (was responsible for seven Oreos, some Fritos and I eventually got a few carrots in her). Then we got to the actual hayride and she had a total blast.





I've known plenty of people who did the house in the country thing, a spread way out there. Most of whom have to commute at least as far as I now do, if not farther, to bring a paycheck back to the country. And I never got the appeal of it. Sure, peace and quiet, solitude, I can dig it, but to commute like that if you don't have to...





Out on the hayride I think I finally kind of got it. It's nothing I'd want for myself, but I think I finally get why it seems worth the huge expense and the long drive to so many people.



No comments: