Search Lobsterland

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Re-Ethnicated



The weather was so nice, I decided to make another run at the Ethnic Engorgement Festival. No seizures this time, the worst I had to deal with was Em's terrible teenage attitude about being there at all.



Seems like the portions were generally larger and prices commensurately higher than what I remember in years past. $3 doesn't seem like a lot more than $2, and $5 doesn't seem like a lot more than $3, but my money went away with astonishing alacrity.



'I'm bored, I don't want to be here,' Em said.

Well, I replied, you're in luck because I'm broke and there's no ATM out here.

'But I wanted to try a Brazilian cheese ball!'



When I offered to get in that line you said no.

'I wanted to wait for the line to get shorter.'




Ah, well. I got Mo to take some timid samples of Kenyan fried potatoes (with a thin batter coating that had cilantro in it, delicious). No luck getting her to try the Kenyan beef skewer (I forget what it was called, but it was awesome). Who knew meat and potatoes were 'ethnic?'



Had a Turkish version of the gyro, a Döner sandwich. And a kabob from Morocco. And a delicious smoothie.



I could tell the girls were both hungry, but every time I tried to get them to try a bite of something they looked at me with suspicion and distrust. No really, I'd say. It's just meat.



Watched some Malaysian dancers. Said 'hi' to my friend who was getting ready to perform with Axé Capoeira, a Brazilian dance/martial arts thing. I really wanted to stay and watch their performance, but the girls were both impossible by this point.

No comments: