Search Lobsterland

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Stockathon Continued



Beef stock this time. A couple packages of beef oxtails and a couple of beef 'soup bones' are the central ingredients. The great thing about it, they practically give you this stuff because it's basically what you have leftover after you butcher everything someone would want to eat from a cow.



I added a lot more veggies, herbs, and spieces than a lot of stock recipes call for. But that's my way.



I put some olive oil in the stock pot and dropped the onions in first to sautée them, then started adding the other ingredients.



2 bunches parsley, loosely chopped
6 ribs celery, coarsely cut
6 carrots, also coarsely cut
28 oz can 'crushed' tomatoes
some sliced baby bellas I had left over in the fridge
a bunch of peppercorns
about two tablespoons minced garlic
a bit of salt (not much, really)
two packages of beef oxtails
two packages of beef 'soup bones'
some rubbed sage
some dried thyme leaves
a cup of cooking wine
water to top up 4 gallon pot

When I feared the onions and whatnot at the bottom would scorch, I covered it all with cold water and commenced to simmer.



As you can see, I didn't even bother washing the pot. The pork stock had just been emptied out of it.



Anyway, after seven or eight hours of simmering, I strained it off and chilled it to facilitate removing the fat. I'll probably make noodles this weekend.

No comments: