Search Lobsterland

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Diabolical Pesto Pasta & Butternut Squash



To go with the rigatoni tonight, I had some butternut squash roasting, then started a sausage based sauce.

1 lb 'hot' Italian sausage, browned & drained
16 oz. Classico Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
4 oz (or so) Garozzo's Diablo sauce (this was a remnant I had in the fridge; it's a sauce with great flavor but far, far too runny)
crushed red pepper to taste
1 can black olives, drained
freshly chopped parsley (to garnish)



I'm disappointed in this rigatoni. It's a different brand (I forget which) than what I've been buying, and I bought it because the noodles were bigger around. But they have a thinner construction and they go from undercooked to limp almost instantly. The rigatoni I've been buying lately, you about can't overcook it. You can cook it, add sauce, reheat in the microwave later and it's still chewy stuff. This rigatoni barely survived to the table.





I roasted a couple butternut squash while I was at it. It's such a great side dish, and I figured the leftovers would be good to take for lunch. I still had the seeds from last week's squash in a Galdware in the fridge, so I added the seeds from today and had three squash worth of seeds to roast, which makes a batch or so.



Em tried the butternut last week and liked it, or said so anyway. Tonight, I had to coerce her to get her to try a tiny taste, which she already had 'yuck' formed in her mouth before it went in.



Mo ate her pasta and wanted to go get on the computer, and when I said not until you eat that squash, she downed it (saying mmmm-hmmm, but making a face). Em told me I was teaching her bad eating habits, like I'd loaded her plait with huge portions and forced her to clean her plate before leaving the table.



The bad eating habits are not eating what's put in front of you, kiddo. It's a fight I lost with my ex back when I was working nights and she was on her own with the kids most evenings. My failing as a father, really, one I've tried unsuccessfully to correct.



Next time I get married and make babies (not likely), I'll do it differently.



Em did like the roasted seeds, though.

No comments: