Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Petite Meatballs (Kinda Petite, Anyway)



I made meatballs again, but I changed some stuff up. Like I made the meatballs smaller this time. I enjoyed homemade meatball subs with the last batch, but I didn't like having to unhinge my jaw to get a bite off of one.







I used a 1/4 cup measure last time, this time I just kind of eyeballed it. A tablespoon was too small, and I didn't have a 1/8 cup measure. There's a bit of variation in size as a result, but they're overall more or less bite-sized.





Recipe-wise, this one was different, too:

1 lb. Cosentino's 'Hot' Italian sausage (fine grind, last time I used their coarse stuff which is too hard to mix well)
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground pork (the beef and pork were sold together as a 'meatloaf' package
2 cups bread crumbs (I discovered how easy it is to make fine, uniform bread crumbs with the blender)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 eggs
2 tablespoons tomato paste
some crushed red pepper
freshly ground black pepper
Form into approximately two-tablespoon size balls, dredge in flour, brown in olive oil. Drain on paper towels, then transfer to roasting pan. Finish in 350ºF oven for 15 minutes, draining a second time on paper towels (in addition to being sure the meat is cooked through, this last step helps sweat out as much fat as possible).



I put some away with rigatoni and Alfredo sauce to take as lunches to work, and set the rest aside for sandwich duty. Including the sandwich I had for supper this evening. It would have been a perfect sandwich, but the baguette had gotten tough and no amount of microwave trickery would make it behave. The rest shall become croutons and I'll get fresh bread tomorrow.



For this evening's sandwich, I topped the meatballs with a bit of Alfredo and melted some provolone over it all.

No comments: