Search Lobsterland

Friday, January 30, 2009

Perspective

Worried about the global financial crisis? Freaked out that your job is in danger? In other words, do you think you have problems?

Dig it, this is a picture of an old chum of mine, a friend from my high school days. He's on his way back from a little holiday in Hell.

And by Hell, I mean Goma, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. This is a guy who joined the Peace Corps fresh out of college and now works for an outfit called Mercy Corps. So he's seen some bad stuff in his time, and in his email to me he said, "Seriously, this place is a mess, probably the worst place I've ever been."



So what I'm saying is not that you have no problems. You do. I do, we all do. But if you're reading this blog, you have a computer and an internet connection, so I'm going to take a wild guess that the last water you drank did not come from a puddle, or even from the enormous truck you see here with my mate and a local, a truck they used to deliver fresh water to refugees.



These photos, by the way, are courtesy of Roger Burks and Mercy Corps. If you're reading this, you're probably used to the silhouette of a Colt .45 handgun getting the circle/slash logo to indicate it's unwelcome in the local library. Imagine a place where they have to remind people to leave their machine guns at home.

No comments: