Search Lobsterland

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Chicken Casserole




I feared the casserole would be too thin, and I went overboard on ensuring heft, creaminess. I used heavy cream in it, for crying out loud.





One of my early blog posts regarding a casserole elicited a very fair question from my brother: Are you sure you're a cardiac patient?





This casserole poses the same question, I guess, but not as loudly. I used four grilled breasts, cubed, a pound of whole wheat cholesterol-free egg noodles, a 28oz can of Cream of Mushroom, 28oz of low fat buttermilk, a pound of frozen broccoli (defrosted in the 'wave), about a pound of part-skim mozzarella, a half pint of part-skim ricotta and about a half an onion sauteed with about a tablespoon of minced garlic. Pepper to taste (I figured the soup and buttermilk brought more than enough salt to the table).





Part of the reason I used the four breasts I'd grilled is I overcooked them on the grill. They weren't burned, but they were awfully dry. Having once been sick off undercooked duck, I am ever erring on the side of well-done with poultry. Go figure, I tried steak tartare when I had the chance but I won't brave an iffy bite of bird.



Bake the whole mess at 350ºF for half an hour and dig in.

No comments: