Search Lobsterland

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Spinach Festival

There were more festivals today than we could have even theoretically hit. A Greek food festival I scratched because at $16.50 a plate, it'd be about fifty bucks for the three of us and I'd bet another fifty that my children would refuse to eat such fare. There was also a Soap Box Derby race I contemplated.



But first up was the Spinach Festival in Lenexa. We got there around lunch time, so the food lines were horrendous. I thought maybe after a bit we'd be able to get a bite, but it started raining while we waited for our paddleboat ride, and I really didn't want to listen to Em bitching about being cold and wet (and not wanting to be there) any longer.



I wasn't going to throw it in before we got the paddleboat ride, though. They were free, and I don't think I've ever been on a paddleboat. If I have, it's been so long I've forgotten it.



So we're out on the water at last, checking out the cool bicycle sculpture that nonsensically arises out of one end of the lake, and I try to capture photographic evidence we're having fun.



And Em does that gritted-teeth grin. So I tell her it'd be better if she'd just smile. Next shot, she's got her tongue sticking out. Whatever.



I know we were getting rained on, but if you can't have fun in a paddleboat, you've got something broken inside you.



We didn't stay out long or go far because I had to do all the work. Em was sitting in the middle. Her job was to steer, though she expected the steering to be instantaneous and dramatic, which it isn't since it just controls the direction of the rudder. And Mo was less than useless as a paddle-mate. She had her feet on the pedals, but when she took them off it became markedly easier to crank, so her feet had just been dead weight on the axle.




But at least it wasn't hot out. I'd infinitely prefer a bit of rain to hot weather for this kind of action.

No comments: