Search Lobsterland

Monday, September 08, 2008

Obamanation

I was temporarily fogged with Libertarian ideals and a healthy political cynicism, but after seeing this car, I now know what I have to do. I have to vote for Obama.



Because nobody could have the intellectual wherewithal to drive a car and at the same time amass so many bumper stickers if he was a moron or something.

I'm totally persuaded. And shocked (not to mention awed and even chastened) to learn that hatred is not a family value. Not even hatred for Sarah Palin? Not even if I said please?

I've been guilty of driving equal Idiotmobiles. Including bumper stickers promoting such awful ideas as Pat Buchanan for President (I can't take that one back loudly enough), great ideas like 'Choosy Mothers Choose Life' and ridiculous-but-funny notions along the lines of 'Cthulu Loves You...With Ketchup.'

I had all these and about fifteen other bumper stickers on a car I once owned. A car I drove to a Melissa Ethridge concert, where I got so worried that my tires might get slashed that I left after only three encores.

The only difference between me and the imbecile driving this car is I realized years ago that I never, ever changed anyone's mind by putting a bumper sticker on my car. Once you quit caring about pissing off strangers (and simultaneously winning the approbation of other strangers) the bumper sticker count tends to drop pretty sharply.

Not that my car is now innocent of bumper stickers. I have one promoting Rockets magazine and another for Autism Awareness. And I might, in a moment of weakness, include one for my own Presidential Candidate, Bob Barr. As much as I admire Sarah Palin and think she's more or less the same kind of different as me, I can't be sure McCain will have a relapse of cancer or something to put her on the job. And war hero or not, I can't vote for someone who's made a 26 year career out of selling out.

He's one of the Keating Five, for crying out loud. I don't care if he was contrite, if he supposedly enacted reforms, that alone should have ended his fucking career.

And if he enacted such great reforms, would we have a sequel to the Savings & Loan bailout on the order of the Treasury taking over Ginnie Mae & Freddie Mac?

And while I'm heartened that Palin has her doubts about global warming, I don't see here calling the Drug War what it is, Jim Crow by another name.

No comments: