Search Lobsterland

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole


Okay, remember when I could cook anything as long as it was pizza? I know, I'm on the casserole channel lately.



And once again, my baby-cooker floweth over. I have a monster casserole dish, a 3 quart piece of Pyrex, but for the second consecutive casserole I've ended up with it plus a 9 x 9 square full.



Here's the recipe as I did it this time:

4 cups chicken broth and 1-3/4 cups brown rice cooks for 40 minutes. Prep other ingredients in this time.



1 large-ish onion chopped sautés in olive oil with a tablespoon of minced garlic.
When onions are getting translucent, add about two cups of shredded carrot.
Add:
1 pint heavy cream
2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup
14.5 oz can chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
Heat until bubbling, then melt in
4 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar
4 oz bleu cheese crumbles
2 12.5 oz cans of chicken, drained
1 lb defrosted frozen broccoli
Black and red pepper to taste




Transfer to casserole dish(es) and top with 6 oz French onions. Bake 30 minutes.

It's good but soupy. If I was starting over to make it, I'd omit the chicken broth from the soup base, there's plenty of it already soaked into the rice at this point. I'd cut the cream and sour cream in half (or maybe use one or the other). I'd use one can of Cream of Mushroom. I think then I'd be close to a recipe that would fit in just the baby cooker, and it'd be more likely to stand up and say howdy like Miss April's boobs.

No comments: