Search Lobsterland

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Moon Marble





This was our third trip to Moon Marble. I try to get out there at least once a year, and maybe I should ramp that up a notch. It's awesome in every literal respect.





First off, like in this video, you get to see them make marbles the old fashioned way. In the best 'old ways are the best ways' tradition: it's lampwork, and except for the equipment being way more reliable, it's done today as it was in Ben Franklin's time.





There's also a ton of vintage games and toys you won't find most places. Stuff for related jewelry oriented crafts. Until a couple years ago, I never thought about marbles one way or the other. Now, I have to say, if I had money when I walked into the place, there's no chance I'd have money walking out. Cool stuff, yes, but not money.









Against my instincts and experience, I gave Mo some 'off leash' time there. I would have insisted on holding her hand throughout, but I tried just following her ridiculously close instead. I would say she enjoyed it, though she got louder and faster as time went by, and after our second loop through the shop I decided to extract us before an impulse got something way expensive broken.





I did find myself wanting to spend money. But I had none with me. Besides, I had vetoed two children's museums when looking for stuff to do this weekend on the basis that they weren't free. If I'm going to say I can't afford $18 in admission fees, what's the bargain if I buy $20 worth of shit at Moon Marble?





And it's good shit, too. Vintage games, unique handmade marbles, pirate junk, novel toys.

Not to mention, every time I watch this guy (or Bruce) work, I want to try making marbles. Which, with me, tends to mean the next thing you know I have a torch, a kiln, and a bunch of colored glass rods coming from Italy. I can't afford the hobbies I've got, so there's no way I need another, but it would be fun.





I might try taking a class there sometime. That way I could find out what it's like to make marbles on someone else's equipment.

No comments: