Search Lobsterland

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Eat Yer Veggies

This is real progress. When Em was three, I figured her to be a born vegan.

I'd say I wanted to eat Lobster, she'd say, 'No Daddy, you can't eat lobster. They're buddies.' If I pressed, she'd explain, 'They live in the water. They're not good for your tummy.'

Behind our house, there was a pasture where Angus beef grazed.

'Can I eat a cow then?' I'd ask.

'No,' she'd say. 'You can't eat cows. They live in the field.'

We figured when she realized what a Happy Meal was made of, she'd be finished with eating anything that ever moved about, maybe even anything that was only moving because wind was blowing on it.



But these days, Em's favorite vegetable is a grilled cheese sandwich. Her favorite breakfast is a grilled cheese. She'll eat cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets pretty easy, but if I try to get a broccoli crown into her, well...

So imagine my pleasant surprise when I was heating up a Boca for myself and she wanted one. Said it was good, even.

2 comments:

kimmyk said...

Boca burgers are good huh? Hmm. I always wondered. I sorta resigned myself to thinking they tasted like White Castle burgers-which I think are the worst thing ever.

Chixulub said...

Boca comes the closest to being meat-like, though at the cost of not being trans-fat free if memory serves. Something about hydrogenating that oil seems to make it just as bad for you as the animal fat, go figure.

My favorite are Morningstar Farms, which makes stuff like 'spicy black bean' burgers. The idea isn't to get something that would fool you that you're eating meat, but to get something that tastes good.

Now, the White Castle thing, them's fightin' words. I loves me some sliders, though regrettably I've never had a veggie burger that reminded me of them in any way.