Search Lobsterland

Saturday, April 24, 2010

What Am I Missing?

I've been hearing these radio ads for Southwest Airlines. The ads say I have business in Milwaukee, and now Southwest is flying there nonstop from KC. Also that the economy won't fix itself, which isn't technically true: if politicians and bureaucrats quit trying to diddle it to death, fixing itself is exactly what the economy would do. That's not likely to happen as long as Republicans and Democrats are in charge of anything, so I'm not waiting under water, but I can't grasp what about me flying to Milwaukee would do for anything.

I know nobody there, and I think if I had any business to do in that fine city, I'd at least have a name or two in my address book. I'm sure that like Kansas City and a bunch of other places you have no reason to think about for two seconds unless you live there, Milwaukee is a very livable place. Given it's on Lake Michigan just a bit north of Chi, I imagine it gets Chicago style weather, and I know it's a hotbed of pinko politics, but nothing's perfect.

So I'm driving to work the other day and the bus I'm stuck behind in traffic is another one of these crazy ads for Southwest. 'Nonstop to Milwaukee. It's on.' This in black, all-caps type on a yellow background with a little Southwest logo in the bottom right corner.

I keep thinking, What is it with these people and Milwaukee?

1 comment:

BC said...

Milwaukee is wonderful! Beer, Sausage and sub-par baseball. Brewery tours galore.