Search Lobsterland

Monday, April 19, 2010

Retro Recovery



More or less the usual route when Julia's leading us, but this time we went clockwise instead of counterclockwise.

Great ride, great weather, great people.

I got lots of comments on my wobbly rear wheel, owing to three or four broken spokes. Roger has confiscated my wheels once again determined to re-spoke them entirely.

Oh, I got curious about my 'infinite' miles per gallon on the bicycle and did some checking. According to a web site I found, riding at 12-14 miles per hour, weighing what I do, I burn roughly 1108 calories per hour. Call it 12 miles per hour, that's 92.33 calories burned in a mile.

A gallon of unleaded gasoline has 31,250 calories worth of energy, equivalent to about 32 Big Macs with 32 Large Fries from McDonalds (I'm throwing up in my mouth a little bit just typing that).

But anyway, the fast food conversion isn't really material to how many miles per gallon I theoretically get on my 1993 Diamond Back hybrid. Taking that 92.33 calories per mile into the 31,250, I'm coming up with 338 mpg.

I'm still gonna use the infinity symbol on my mileage sticker. I think the thing I like most about it is it implies dividing by zero. Which some people think is impossible, but Chuck Norris can do it.

No comments: