Search Lobsterland

Friday, April 16, 2010

My Name in Print...

Things are going to start happening to me now. I know, I used that line once before, the other time I wrote a Letter to the Editor (Kansas City Scar).

I wrote a letter in response to an editorial calling for Kansas City to put in a hundred miles of bike lanes this year. Great idea, I thought, in general. But given economic realities, I'd be ecstatic to just get status-quo-ante roads repaired to last summer's level of ride-ability. Cities are broke, and we just had, by far, the harshest winter in decades, which left us with a legacy of nasty potholes.



The other time I wrote a letter, I got a call at work the next day to verify authorship and the day after that my letter was printed. When almost a week had gone by, I was stunned to get a call to verify authorship of this second letter.

Yeah, I wrote it, I told the guy. But I thought since you hadn't run it yet, it'd gotten in your spam filter or you'd decided it wasn't worthy.

He said they'd just had lots of mail lately. Naturally, I looked for my letter the next day. The day after that. Then figured, for space, it'd been dumped for good.

No big deal, re-reading the email I sent them I wished I'd taken more time to rewrite it and not done such a slap-dash job.

I'd pretty much forgotten the whole thing when I noticed in today's Opinion section, my letter responding to an editorial from over two weeks ago.



Trying to find the Steve Martin bit from The Jerk I took my headline from, I found him winning The Dating Game.

No comments: