Search Lobsterland

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Screw It!



Okay, I bought wood screws to go with the Yellawood I'm making my raised beds out of. I got home and found my Phillips head didn't fit the screw and went back to Home Depot.



'You need a #2 for those,' the guy said. 'Terrible system. When we sold those screws with our decking we sold a ton of screw extractors.'



I hadn't seen deck screws over by the pressure treated joists I bought. That's why I had headed to the hardware section and selected 3" wood screws.



He sold me a head that fits them, and what can I say? I'm the first to admit I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but of the corners I've done so far, I only have one that doesn't have a stripped out, partially in screw or two (or three) sticking out. I can bend them over with a hammer or cut them off with a hacksaw (or dodge them all summer), but damn. Is pressure treated lumber that much harder to screw into? Or should somebody have their nuts cut off before they pass the Stupid Gene to the next generation? That someone being whoever cooked up this lame-ass screw.

With ones that I had to give up on but do no work of value on the joints, I didn't have enough screws to finish so I called it off. I'll get some of whatever they sell as deck screws to finish and then figure out if hitting shit with a hammer or bobbing things off with a hacksaw or my Dremel is less effort...

No comments: