Search Lobsterland

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Moose Meatball

I'm not sure where this saying came from entirely. There was a setup TV show, My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance, I caught one time where one of the things the actor 'family members' of the groom side did to make it hot for the bride's real family was to greet each other with 'moose!' salutes.

To do this, they'd raise their shirts and make 'ok' signs around their nipples with their fingers sticking out to make the rack and shout, 'Moose!'

Emily contributed the 'meatball' part, and I think it was something she picked up from a friend at school. But if I pulled up my shirt and went 'Moose!' she'd avert her gaze and say, 'Meatball.'



Which has nothing to do with anything, I rode the Blue Moose ride, sort of, tonight. As usual, cutting across Roeland Park to bypass the maniacal climb into KCK (and subsequent glide down what the sign claims is 14th Street but anyone can see is actually a collection of bomb craters).

The Animals passed me and Lawn Chair Larry around 69th and Lamar. My goal is to have them pass me at progressively later spots on the route. I wonder if I can get to where they don't fly past me until Somerset.

Larry did a much better job than I did at keeping in shape this winter. The guy I remember showing up on his Lightning recumbent (the feet-first bicycle is where he got his nickname, it's a lawn chair on wheels) in October was much easier to keep up with.

I'm trying, so far with little success, to get a regular group of sub-Animal riders to hit this ride and form a no drop alternate for beginning to intermediate riders. I can't always ride on Thursdays, but three out of four weeks of the month I generally can. If, by some miracle, you are slower than me, I'll wait at the tops of hills and whatnot. I don't know what that's like, but if you're really out of shape I'll bring a crossword puzzle along or something.

15.6 miles, average speed 12.6 mph, top speed 34.0 mph (don't tell the cops, that was coming down Cherokee on the final descent and it's posted 25).

Speaking of that final descent, I was amused when a Nissan Altima swung around to pass me near the top of the hill. I thought, I think I'm fixin' to ride a bit faster than you're fixin' to drive. And a short while later, as the hill got steeper, it came to pass. I left him standing still.

No comments: