Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Brewery Ride

Me and Roj started out a full hour ahead of the Brewery Ride crew. We figured they'd still pass us on Mission Road or Lee Blvd, but they didn't We deviated a bit from the tail end of their route, going a bit further East at the end, but we rode basically the same route (I'm pretty sure).

Actually, now that I look at their map, maybe we deviated a bit on the front end, too.

19.7 miles, averaged 11.9 mph and topped out at 32.9 mph. All the while loudly arguing about politics, so you know I had a good time. Roj is maybe as contrarian as me, and we end up both accusing the other of playing devil's advocate.



Roj sustained an injury, actually. He'd fallen a bit behind me it seemed, and I thought maybe I was going too fast. Don't get me wrong, he's by far the superior athlete, but he's got one gear and 20 inch wheels, so I thought maybe sheer mechanical advantage had me on my 700c 21-speed hybrid outpacing his Mongoose BMX with leaden mag wheels.



But no, the only problem was he managed to slip of a pedal and take a bite out of the back of his leg. Yikes. The rest of the ride, whenever I looked back to see if he'd made a light or whatever, he was right behind me.

We got back to the Brewery and there were still people from the main group pulling in. Which would have made me feel really proud if it wasn't for that full hour head start.

If it doesn't rain, we plan to hijack (or gate crash or whatever you call it when you are totally, completely out of your depth) the Blue Moose ride Thursday. And instead of lopping off the KCK leg by cutting across Roland Park, just setting out early and doing the whole thing. Maybe I can make it back into Johnson County before the first peloton blasts by me.

Anyone who wants to join us is welcome, we don't set any land speed records but we go the distance and have lots of fun.

No comments: