Search Lobsterland

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Scopin' (Sort Of)



We tried to do the Kaleidoscope-Wonderscope one-two punch again, but it didn't work out as well as I'd hoped.



That 20/20 hindsight is a bitch. Mo had been up from about three in the morning, eventually going back to bed for awhile around five. And she seemed draggy, though I thought it was just boredom.



And then there was answering 'no' to every choice offered. I figured she was just being ornery, which is a very real possibility with this kid.



We got our tickets and went and saw some of the Christmas they have all over Crown Center. Harps playing holiday music and so on.



When it was time for the session, we filed in, and I followed Mo to a couple of stations, but she didn't seem to want to do anything. She finally started to color a puzzle, then abandoned her bag and puzzle and started walking briskly for the door. I followed, and as she approached the door, I put a hand on her shoulder and turned her to me, 'What's the matter?'



By way of answering me, she commenced to drool and chew. Seizure time. I got her sat down, and she proceeded to lose bladder control. A couple of the Hallmark staffers asked me what was up, and I told them it was a seizure, though by this point they could tell that. Lots of twitching of the facial muscles, gaggy noises, jerking her head. I kept her leaned up so her head wouldn't bang the wall.



'Is there anything we can do?' the Hallmark folks asked. I only wish there was.



It's more of a ride-it-out situation, I explained. I have some dope that will help arrest the seizure if it goes past five minutes.



It didn't get to five minutes, more like two. I wouldn't believe two minutes could last so long, but according to my cell phone, that was about it. By the time it was over, one of the Hallmark folks had found Em and we were headed out.



Postictal, Mo isn't too steady on her feet. Last time we had this situation, it was a mile or more up the trail at Shawnee Mission Park, and walking her to the car on the narrow single track was a trick. We'd had to park over in the Hallmark office parking lot because of the holiday crowd, and I wasn't looking forward to another long trek afoot with Mo zonked out. The cop who takes tickets there at Kaleidoscope was on top of things. He called Hallmark security and got us a ride over to our car.



So big-time kudos to all the Hallmark people and the KCMO copper for making this whole deal as endurable as possible.



We went to my Mom's to change Mo's clothes and I was thinking to head home from there. Uncharacteristically, Mo didn't sleep. She also seemed to bounce back better than usual, happily coloring away at my Mom's. When I asked her if she was ready to head home, she said, 'Wonderscope.' Hmmm.



So we did. They have a cool Lego ocean-themed deal in the gym, which ended up being most of what we did. We hit the crafts room pretty hard, too. Then home and early-to-bed for Mo.

No comments: