Search Lobsterland

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Raises Certain Questions...

If you can't read it, the sign on this 'gun truck' says 'corporate machine gun rentals.' No kidding. And the email address includes 'rent50cal.'



So I wonder: do I have to incorporate? Or can I rent a belt-fed 50 caliber machine gun as an LLC or an individual DBA?

And can I get around that annoying waiting period by just renting the weapon? If I'm going to get shot in the standoff with police or spend the rest of my life in prison, why should I invest in the full purchase price? It seems like someone planning a shopping mall rampage would be wise to rent.

For the record: I'm not anti-gun. I sincerely believe your Second Amendment rights extend all the way to nuclear weapons and aircraft carriers, so the idea that owning a 50 caliber machine gun would be a criminal offense is as ridiculous as thinking you'd be wise to own one for personal protection.

So I called the number, and it turns out, it's real. The guy said it was mainly geared to corporations because he worried less about someone turning the guns on him that way. I told him, I'm not so sure that's true. I've known guys who made six figures that I wouldn't trust with an unlit cigar.

You need ten people for a group, and it's $1300 a head. That's for a day of mayhem, shooting junk cars on a range. A range that's moving because of the NIMBY factor. A subdivision a mile and a half from their range complained that the noise was affecting their quality of life. Which either means some Volvo-driving NPR types spotted the operation and complained on general principals, or that they make a whole lot of noise.

Either way, makes me want to sign up.

No comments: