Search Lobsterland

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Ice Harvest



Okay, I figured my power was down for the count because the last big ice storm my house was dark for ten days. Luckily, Oklahoma got the ice we were supposed to get. Sorry, Sooners, better you than me.



I set my cell phone as a supplementary alarm because I figured no way there'd be electricity come morning. My CPAP cutting out should wake me, but I didn't want to take chances.




But I woke to a home that was warm and bright. Got an early start to work, which turned out to be unnecessary. So many people had wussed out on the commute, there was maybe a third the usual car count. Which means while it was cold and raining, and impossible to drive the speed limit on the interstates, the traffic didn't actually stop the way it does (inexplicably) on sunny days.



The next day, however, the water was mostly ice and everyone who wimped out Tuesday had gotten chewed out by their bosses and were back on the road, hell bent for synthetic imitation leather. The roads were worse but the way people drove, you'd think it was July.



Still, ice storms are good at least for photo ops.



Come Wednesday night, when I went to pick the girls up I about couldn't get them in my car for their desire to harvest icicles from my ex's tree. And after they got to my house, Mo continued the harvest until I was running low on icicles, and that was something of an achievement. Even earned a couple of time-outs for going out to get more ice bare-ass and warned against it...

No comments: