Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Two Stage Action



Ever look at Big Bird's eyes? I mean, really looked?

I hadn't until I had the notion that this rocket I'm building would be Big Bird. It's not the biggest rocket I ever built, but it's in that top quartile. Yellow with orange fins (I gave up on trying to find a good way to make pink stripes on the fins, everything I did looked awful).

But I wanted to do eyes. How hard could it be, right? I mean they're just golf balls with dots draw on them on the real Muppet, so I figured a pair of googley eyes could paste on easy enough.

I got google eyes, they're 97¢ a bag in the crafts section at Wal-Mart, but they're very stiff and won't conform to the body tube. Plus, they didn't really look right.

So then I think to make a decal on label stock like I do my 'please return this poor lost rocket to Lobster Land' stickers. And nothing looks right. I Google the image of Big Bird and I notice these heavy pink eyelids with blue rims, so I try to include those.



Of course the yellow doesn't match the paint, but I didn't chicken out because of that. I decided against it because the eyes looked stupid and didn't convey that it was Big Bird.



What can I say? They can't all be Mr. Creosote.

Anyway, Big Bird is a 2-stage model, the booster will peel off when the C6-0 in it burns out and already moving, he should really stand up and pinch his nose.



Same for the Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby (and Em gave me a hard time over ÜberTubester Chixulubster being too hard a name), the orange and teal monstrosity I built to use the booster from the sadly lost Two-Da-Lou. He's right around five feet long all in. Hopefully we'll have good weather for the KCAR launch Saturday,

No comments: