Search Lobsterland

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Thor's Candycane (Construction)



Long John Silver's still up a tree, but his successor is almost ready to fly. Should be on the launch rod in a couple of hours.
Thor's Candycane is actually a bit longer than Long John was, close to 40 inches. A 34" body tube, the fins extend a half inch below the tube, the nose cone extends 4-7/8" when seated, so what, 39-3/8" total?



I've got a nifty nylon 'chute for him. I mean, the parachute has to actually open or it won't do me any good, but it's a 24" no-rip nylon deal. I wish I could find parachutes of this quality in smaller sizes. They're not really much more than the overpriced plastic ones, but it's a lot more like a real parachute. This one's targeted more to the mid-power thing, and as huge as Thor's Candycane is compared to the rest of my fleet, he'd be on the small end of mid-power (if I had a larger motor mount in him, one that would take an E engine).



I might build an E kit one of these days. Or design my own. It's a slippery slope kind of thing, because it's not that much more money, but it is more money. And I've got some stuff on hand that would be suitable, a big-ass BT-70 nose cone, some even bigger BT-80 tubing, some BT-50 to BT-80 centering rings, long engine hooks, etc. But I'm missing couplers and nose cones for the larger tubes, and missing everything below the nose cone for the BT-70. Eventually, I know, I'll use them, but for now I'm sticking to my C engine ceiling.

Also, I've made some decals for my fleet. Basically my logo with contact information and a plea to return the rocket if found. I've Sharpied my name on fits here and there, and never gotten a call, but I thought it was worth a shot.



Some of the stickers say 'Please return this rocket to Midwest Rock Lobster. We'll love ya for it.' Others actually offer a cash reward. Thor's Candycane got the largest reward: his sticker promises a $10 reward if he's found and returned. This is roughly what I have in materials in him, maybe a little less, but of course I have the work that went into him, too. Most of the reward stickers are $2 and $5 rewards, and I'm kind of letting it depend on how bad I'd want a given rocket back.

No comments: