Search Lobsterland

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Friday Night Flickin'



Okay, knowing full well that Mo is unlikely to sit quietly in a canvas chair for the entirety of Singing in the Rain, and that Em tends to get a pickle up her butt about any activity these days, I packed an impromptu picnic and navigated to Crown Center for another Free Friday Flick deal.





As we set up our canvas chairs, I saw Mo zone in on something. At first, of course, I feared she was zoning out, getting ready to seize. Then she jumped and ran into the group of teenagers playing cards. The game they were playing involved a desk bell, and Mo had to ring it. They were very good natured about the intrusion.



This week I was smart enough to remember swimwear for the fountain. This is probably the only fountain I'd let my kids play in: it's made for it. I see kids playing in fountains around the city—not every parent fears a cholera outbreak.





I'd expected Em would be timid about the water, especially if it was cold. But it was Mo who hung back, stayed dry for about ten, fifteen minutes. She'd threaten to get wet, but then run away before the water could get her.




Em confirmed the water was icy cold, but after a few minutes she was letting it soak her. Mo eventually caught on to this, and when she did, she had a blast.





When it got dark enough for the fountain's lights to come on, Mo really started diggin' it the most.



They tired of the cold and wet with eerily good timing: the movie was just starting. We got some Sheridan's frozen custard and sat in our canvas chairs to watch the show.



Em wanted to go home before it even started. But Mo wanted to stay, much to my surprise, so we did. We only made it maybe twenty minutes in, if that. We made it to Debbie Reynolds getting fired, if you know the film well. I don't, I saw it once when I was a child, and I had no idea it was so funny.






Em was hooked, too, by the time Mo got too squirrelly for us to stay.

No comments: