Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

American Girl (NOT the Tom Petty Song)



Em's Christmas present was the same as her favorite cuz's: a trip to Chi on the Megabus with Grandma & Grandpa to go to the American Girl Place, the Shed Aquarium, and so on and so forth.



Grandpa Calvin spent two days lost in the Field Museum, insulated by vast history from the hyper-marketed Girl Stuff.



On the trip up, when they transferred in St. Louis, the bus they got on had a busted AC. Of course, the bus was too modern to have windows you could open, so the whole thing just simmered all the way up to Chicago. Em told me the guy sitting next to her on that leg smelled really bad.



I told her: that is the smell I'm talking about when you have a fit about taking a shower and I ask you if you want to be the smelly kid. Especially in the summer, you don't have to skip too many ablutions before you smell like that guy. I also told her, I know the Megabus is cheap but if here's no AC, I'm asking for my dollar back.



The other amazing thing: after four days in close proximity, Em still hadn't had enough Cuz time. I had to drag her away, unwillingly.

No comments: