Search Lobsterland

Saturday, November 18, 2006

While You Were Out (Of It)

For those of you who don't know, I work as a whore, uh, I mean commercial artist, at an ad specialties manufacturer. I mean, I'm so not an artist. I can't draw stick figures or even write legibly. Luckily, that isn't a BFQ to be a commercial artist.

Anyway, most of what I do with my day is part of the effort to make for the national shortage in promotional products with custom imprints pimping real estate brokerages. We also help make sure you don't run out of junk mail.



There's worse ways to spend your day.

And here is proof. This is a sort of anomalous job for us. We do lots of scratch pads, but a more typical job would be a grocery list pad with an insurance agent's ad copy. We do lots of 'while you were out' pads, too, but this one has that something extra.

It also made the day more interesting because of its claim of being printed on 'HEMP/Recycled Blend Paper, U.S. Milled.' It was probably American paper: paper is heavy and I seriously doubt anyone is shipping paper from mills in Mexico at a discount that would get it 1500 miles north. And given recycling laws, I'm sure there's some recycled content there as well, probably quite a bit. But hemp? Nope. Not a stray fiber of hemp in that pad.



The dilemma, for everyone in the chain of supply becomes apparent. If you print a union bug (one of those little 'Union Made' logos) on a product that wasn't made in a union shop, get ready to join Jimmy Hoffa under the 20-yard line. Unions are mostly dying in America today and they have lost their sense of humor (but not their legal departments).

So do you call them up and say, 'by the way, we don't have any hemp based stock?'*

What? For a gag gift geared towards the 4/20 crew? Anyone who actually uses 'smoked your nugs' in conversation is unlikely to have the discernment to know or the ambition to do anything about it. Really, who's ox is being gored?

Okay, cool, I'm gonna go blow a J...NOT.

*Don't tell Jeff Spicoli about this, Sean Penn might be dumb enough and rich enough to get me in trouble at work.

No comments: