Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Indian Summer

I don't, on the whole, mind cold weather as much as hot. I would be more likely to adapt successfully to Alaska or Newfoundland than to Houston or Phoenix. Still, this is a very relative thing. I survived a heart attack, it's no endorsement.

I think, climate-wise, Seattle might be my ideal. I've never been there, and I know they've had a hell of a snow up there this week, but it makes national news because it's a freak of nature (or another warning sign that our failure to control pollution in the face of a new Ice Age*). If Buffalo gets a snow like that, they don't even cancel school.

Here in the midwest, we get it all. I've seen 112º (and remember a heat wave where it didn't go below 100º even at night for days and days), and I've seen -25º (in back to back nights). I'm familiar with droughts so bad you're supposed to water your foundation to keep it from distorting and breaking up, and the time I put in a big garden it rained for 40 days and 40 nights (remember in 1993, when you could boat across the state of Missouri?) etc.

San Francisco, there's a climate you can tip your hat to.



I'm just pissed. Today when I left work, I went to get my ice scraper out of the trunk and my trunk was frozen shut. I borrowed a scraper from a coworker, but damn. About got frostbite just knocking the worst of it off.

No comments: