Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Great Faulkner Quote

I've been listening to the audiobook of 'Light in August' at work this week. I read it years ago, but like all of Bill's books, worth another spin anytime.

He might be the greatest American author bar none. Of the Big Three (the other two being Steinbeck and Hemingway or Fitzgerald and Hemingway or Steinbeck and Fitzgerald, depending on mood), he's the one that shines the brightest for me.

Anyway, this heartwarming tale of Joe Christmas, a light-skinned black passing for white in the Deep South, adopted by an abusive evangelical nut-job, ultimately a bootlegger-cum-murderer has a gem I had missed:

What woman, good or bad, has ever suffered from any brute as men have suffered from good women?


Misogynistic? Maybe. True, boy-howdy!

Which is why I want to find me a bad woman. The badder the better.

1 comment:

Kenn Minter said...

Hey man, Just wanted to drop you a note to say I really enjoy your blog. I happened upon it the other day while I was looking for something in "Google Images."

I can't remember what I was looking for now.

Keep writing.

- Percy