Search Lobsterland

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Ugly People Can Make You Better

I happened to think, as a sort of appendix to that road rage post, about something I was going to do a long time ago, and I didn't.

You might have gathered, I hate driving. It's part of why I want to live in New York City. Really, almost any city so dense that having a car is illogical. There's places that fit that criteria that I haven't been to.

But I used to want the airhorn off a semi tractor. I drove a little Toyota and I wanted something that, if I get cut off, I could throw a scare into someone, make them think they cut off a an 18-wheeler instead of a cute little hatchback.

Then I saw a guy in an old Ford blast someone with just such an array. They'd been driving slow in front of him, and he was tailgating them. When they finally turned, he blew that horn, amazingly loud, and when the startled occupants of the other car looked back, he was wagging his finger at them, scornful. He was among the ugliest human beings I've ever seen. So consumed with his rage he required this ridiculous weapon to scream at the world.

the idea of putting truck horns on my Toyota just evaporated in that glimpse.

Maybe if I saw someone weaving to freak rude motorists out, I'd think that was just as ugly. Hope not.

No comments: