Search Lobsterland

Friday, August 19, 2005

Clean and Odor Free?

I'm not the kind of guy who typically badmouths coworkers. I really get along with pretty much anyone, and I tend not to have strong feelings one way or another about the other inhabitants of the cubicle farm.

For around five years I've had the same cellmate. He never talks to me. He got divorced, moved, and took up with a new girlfriend, and the first I knew of it was when he put a picture up in his cubicle of him with his new girlfriend. He didn't tell me who she was, I heard it through the grapevine.

Since he ignores me so thoroughly (though I also hear he routinely bitches about me to people he does talk to), I'm generally unaware of his presence. I honestly don't know when he comes and goes. There are ghosts with more presence in my workday.

My boss has kept me seated by him because everyone else who's sat in that cubicle has fought with him. Since I don't fight with him, it's probably a smart move on my boss' part.

The latest complaint, made twice in one week, is that I smell bad. Complaints made to my boss so he had the uncomfortable task of mentioning it to me. I've been a supervisor, so I can dig the line he's got to walk. Ignore a real problem, and you're not doing your job, confront a fake one, and you're not doing your job.

I admit that when I drop ass, it's violent. I try not to do it there at my desk, and even got a special cushion to absorb the worst of any accidental fumes. But that's not what this guy is bitching about. He's saying it might be my feet or something, but it's definitely a hygiene issue.

A few months ago, I worried about this. I break out in rashes if I don't use hypoallergenic deodorant, and I have to drive a ways to get the stuff I can use. I was out for a week or two, and as the day wore on, I know I had some serious pit smell. But I'm still working my way through a stockpile I bought after that drought (literally bought every stick in the store).

For the record, I shower on a daily basis, as is customary in America. When I'm working out regularly, or the lawn needs cutting, it might extend to twice in a day. I've missed one here and there in my life, but not by choice, and not recently.

Generally, if I complain about a coworker, it's because they're not doing their job. They're either fucking off or incompetent or coming to work stoned. But this guy is an asshole. There's just no way around it. I've attempted to break the ice, both at work and on the rare occasions I've run into him outside work. But since he apparently wants no social intercourse with me, I've respected that and given him space.

I'd still fight Tom Cruise, I don't hate this guy at work. But when someone goes this far in honing his joylessness, I'm tempted to forego showers for a week or two. Maybe start chewing garlic-flavored gum and going out of my way to direct farts in his direction.

I guess sitting next to me is this guy's personal Fear Factor episode.

But I don't think I'll stink on purpose. It'd just make the case he's invented in his mind real. Maybe I'll send him a singing telegram. That, and maybe make an extra effort to empty the chamber pots, ashtrays, and spittoons under my desk. Might even quit using sardine oil as a hair styling product.

3 comments:

lizmo said...

Of all the things I could think to say about you, personal odor issues has never been one of them, and I've known you for what? 18 years?
Very odd. But it happens. Good luck with the cubemate from you-know-where.

Chixulub said...

I think it's kind of cute, the American idea that there is such a thing as not having 'body odor.' Even if you smell like 'Happy' or 'Paris,' it's still an odor. But I don't think my coworker is bitching because I'm not sporting a designer odor. He's bitching (apparently with some contagious aspect) because he is a joyless asshole.

In fairness, I know some things about his personal life that would excuse a certain amount of assholeness. Stuff that, while printed in newspapers, is personal enough that I didn't inlcude it in my blog. If the same happened to me, I wouldn't want it broadcast, so I leave it to mass media outlets to stir that pot of shit around.

Besides which, that shit happened before I was incarcerated for the workday with this fellow. Before I passed him over for a promotion that made me miserable, and from which I was eventually (and much to my relief) demoted from. So whether he hates me because I had a couple of years to be inadequate in a job he fantasizes could be adequately filled by him (fat chance), or because I'm one of the few employees with enough time at the company to remember some of the skeletons in his closet from when they had flesh and bones and moved about, I don't know. Or care.

Because, as I say, every single person who's been seated in similar proximity has fought with this guy. I don't because I don't care. I'm saving my wrath to beat up Thomas Mapother.

Yeah, Tom. I'm still waiting. I'll beat your ass, even if you do have a personal trainer and a fiancé who looks like a Junior High School truant.

Fair warning, Tommy-Boy: I rarely fight, but when I do, there is no Geneva Convention. Nothing is 'unfair' or 'out of bounds' I'll rupture your testicles, gouge your eyes out, knock the dental appliances off your teeth. Fucker.

j_ay said...

You absolutely *must* start burning incense and scented candles on your desk.

Assuming this is a fire hazard (or in the Nation of Fear a signal that you may be a “terrorist”), *at least* assault your desk with those creepy jelly-smelly things.
Pick the most cloying “scents” available.

I will, of course, contribute funds to the piss-off-the-wanker-cubicle-neighbor plan…