Search Lobsterland

Thursday, August 25, 2005

The 150 Foot Bus Ride



I feel silly enough having the kiddos ride the bus to school when I pass within two blocks of their school on the way to work. Technically, I’m supposed to be at work before school starts. But since I don’t have a second shift counterpart taking over my desk at 4:00, my boss accommodates the chronic tardiness that necessarily comes with either putting them on the bus or dropping them off.

Today, one kid catches the bus, the other was too slow finding a pair of shoes. So I dropped her off. Approaching the school, I was right behind my other daughter's bus.

There's a house next to the school. Closer than some of the parking places I've got when there's a play or other parent-bait event. The bus stopped and picked up a kid and drove him (I'm not exaggerating) maybe 125 feet.

I'm not bitching on an environmental basis. Those dinosaurs died so we could drive around looking for sexually irresponsible girls. But riding the bus less than the length of a football field?

Fuck the gasoline: do you know what kind of resources go into making steel, making brake-pads? Stopping that bus, what a needless waste.

2 comments:

lizmo said...

I ride the city bus here all the time and there are places where bus stops are a quarter or half-mile a part (which is reasonable) and spots where I swear the stops are 100 feet apart and there are five people at each one of them. I like being close to a stop, too, but jeez.
I lived a half-mile from my elementary school and we walked or twisted our parents' or older siblings' arms for rides. No friggin bus for us! :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe it didn't occur to you that if it is the SpEd bus, perhaps the kiddo has to have the bus in their routine to even go to school. Some of these kids rigidly stick to their routine, and maybe riding the bus is part if it. Not everything is always as it seems. It makes a better story to complain about resources etc, but in this case it is probably not irresponsibility. Rather, it is most likely a parent trying to manage a disibility that can't be shaken or changed.